Scholarship Founder John McNeely Deepens Support for Educational Pursuits
Ten members of the class of 2022 were recently awarded scholarships from the Shaw Harbor Foundation, a charitable fund of the Northern New York Community Foundation.
In June, $23,000 in scholarships were awarded to 10 graduating seniors — seven from Jefferson County, one from Lewis County, and two from St. Lawrence County.
Two Class of 2021 Shaw Harbor Scholars and a Class of 2020 Shaw Harbor Scholar were also named 2022 recipients of the Distinguished Undergraduate Award. They are:
- Briar Schweinsberg ($1,500), Siena College Class of 2025, business;
- Alexander Truesdell ($1,000), SUNY Potsdam Class of 2025, biology; and
- Cole Bennett ($1,500), Clarkson University Class of 2024, engineering and management, respectively.
- Class of 2020 Shaw Harbor Scholar Noelle Dutch, Binghamton University Class of 2024, received the 2022 Student Leadership Award ($500) in recognition of her service on the Shaw Harbor Foundation Scholarship Steering Committee.
Shaw Harbor Leadership Scholars
- Jackson Gaffney, Diversity and Inclusion Award ($2,500); Thousand Islands Central; University at Albany, psychology
- Jayla Hall, STEM Award ($3,500); Harrisville Central; University of Rochester, data science
- Zachary Sullivan ($4,000), World- Changer Award; South Jefferson Central; University of Southern California, communications
- Cody Wade ($2,500), Power of Perseverance Award; Indian River Central; Syracuse University, biology
$1,000 Shaw Harbor Scholarship recipients
- Hailyn Buker, South Jefferson Central; Clarkson University, environmental engineering
- Andrew Franklin, Edwards-Knox Central; Le Moyne College, business management
- Benjamin Maurer, Belleville-Henderson Central; SUNY Maritime College, engineering
- Trinity Sampson, Belleville-Henderson Central; SUNY Oswego, biology
- Jade Stevenson, Hugh C. Williams High School, Canton; Stony Brook University, business
- Grace Timerman, LaFargeville Central; University of Rochester, political science
Study Abroad Challenge Award
- Cody Wade was also named the first recipient of the Shaw Harbor Study Abroad Challenge Award. ($2,500) He will spend his fall semester studying in Florence, Italy, with Syracuse University’s Discovery Florence Program.